Cutting to the Beat & Beat Editing
cutting to the beat is when different camera shots are cutting to the beat of the song in the music video. Cutting to the beat and beat editing is often used to put emphasis on the song of the music video. Cutting to the beat reflects the beat and the visuals of the video. these editing techniques make the music video more interesting to watch. This is the main purpose of cutting to the beat and beat editing. The music videos below are examples of videos that use beat-editing and cutting to the beat.
In this music video, I used cutting to the beat At 0:12-0:20. The use of cutting to the beat in this music video is limited. This is because the video itself does not use a range of shots. I didn't shoot a lot of footage to use for the video, which meant my use of cutting to the beat was limited. Cutting to the beat and beat editing is mostly effective when there are a selection/Variety of shots to use. The fact that this video lacked a variety of shots meant that it could not effectively display these editing techniques. The genre of the song and music video can sometimes influence the way in which the video cuts to the beat. when a video cuts to the beat, it often relates to the lyrics that is being heard in the song. For example, a video might cut from one scene to another which is in time with the actual beat of the song. The genre of the song for this video is Hip Hop. It is easier to cut to the beat of hip hop songs. Because of this, I was able to cut to the beat of the song for this video.
Summer practical (Music Video)
Lip Syncing -
Lip syncing is an Essentially technique used in music video. It is used to sell the artist/talent and to help create a "in-concert" experience. In this music video, I was only able to sync the first part of the video with the track (first Chrous). This was because some of the footage I had shot, did not match and sync up with the song. Some of the lip syncing was out of time.
"Turn Down for what" Music video
Effects and Syncing (Transform and transition effects)
Before i begun editing, i imported the footage and main track. I then arranged the footage and Master Audio (Track). I did this by moving the master audio track and putting it as the "main storyline". I Chose the clips and placed them on top of the master audio. This is an essential step. It is important that the footage and music are synced correctly. This is because beat editing is most effective when the footage on screen matches certain parts of the song. Clips that are out of time with the music track won't be as effective. The best way to sync clips correctly is to feel the music.It is important to understand when a cut needs to be made.Get a general sense of when a clip needs to be altered to match the beat of the song.
After syncing both the footage and master track, i placed markers on the master track. I did this to mark out parts of the song i wanted to beat editing to. It is important to mark key points in the song, so that you know which clips go where. I also used the snapping feature. This feature automatically aligns the key points of a clip and audio. The last thing i did was adjust the gain slider for the master track. The "gain" slider can be used to change the gain setting on a selected clip or audio track. In this music video I used both cutting to the beat and beat editing. When using editing techniques such as "cutting to the beat" and "beat editing", it is useful to add visual effects and transitions.
It is also effective to alter the gain of the audio track. For example, in the video below i used the "earthquake" effect. This is something that is commonly used in modern music videos, particularly hip hop videos. The music video "Flo Rida- "GDFR" is an example of this. I used the "earthquake" effect in my video to create a visual representation of the beat and "beat drops" in the song.
(Flo Rida - GDFR ft. Sage The Gemini and Lookas)
I also used the transform feature. the transform feature allows you to alter (Crop, Scale and rotate) the video. I edited the scale of the video and added a "zoom" effect/transition. I did this to create the illusion of the video shaking. Doing this, gives the video a sense of realism and makes the audience feel like they can see and feel the beat of the song. Because of this, the video was able to look like the scenes were cut in time to the beat,which was what i was aiming to the do.I also changed the aspect ratio of the video to widescreen. This gives the video a more cinematic look.In certain parts of the video, I used transition effects such as pan and zoom. I added key-frame markers to mark the parts of the song and video that I would add the effects to. I was able to accurately cut to the beat and beat edit to the track.
Jump cuts and Snapping
In the video, when cutting to the beat, i added jump cut. A jump cut is a transition between two shots which appears to "jump" because of the way the shots are framed in relation to each other. Jump cuts are usually caused by framing. I used a jump cut, each time there was a prominent beat in the song. The "Snapping tool/feature" and Zoom in effect can also be used to make jump cuts more effective. The more subtle the zoom in, the less obvious the jump cut will be. The purpose of using jump cuts is so that the music video looks like it has been edited to the beat of the song. Jump cutting is only effective when it is combined with beat editing and cutting to the beat. Another purpose of Jump cutting is that the audience can reflect on the pace as well as the feel of the song. I added jump cuts in the video because i thought that it reflected the energetic pace of the song. It makes the video look somewhat aesthetically pleasing.
Success and Improvements
In my beat edit i think that the jump cut technique was successful in terms of the way the shots moved together e.g. not too big of a shot then jump to a smaller shot which would have made it look uneven. However to improve i think I could have used more shots as the shot in the beginning of the main dancer was shot to long. This made it difficult for me as I could not do much with the shot or overdue it to make it look non-appealing.
No comments:
Post a Comment